Expressions of interest are invited for two (2) Independent Director roles for Wajarri Yamaji Aboriginal Corporation RNTBC (“WYAC”)
Wajarri Yamaji Aboriginal Corporation (“WYAC”) was established in May 2013 for the Wajarri Yamaji people who have traditional rights in the Murchison area.
WYAC is a registered Public Benevolent Institution (charity) and membership-based association. It receives monies through the Murchison Radio Observatory Indigenous Land Use Agreement as well as more recent mining agreements. These funds are then independently invested and distributed by Winja Wajarri Barna Limited, the Trust. There are approximately 2000 adult members of the WYAC community who benefit from the services of WYAC and the Trust.
WYAC has recently become the Prescribed Body Corporate (PBC) for Wajarri Yamaji Native Title determination. It is in a phase of transitioning to a new corporate structure and finalising negotiation of the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) ILUA. These positions are to identify the appropriate talent to assist the WYAC community during and beyond this phase.
We are seeking up to two Independent Directors to join Wajarri Yamaji Directors on the board. The role is seen as an exchange of ideas and sharing of Aboriginal culture. The Independent Director role is viewed as important to:
- Assist the Board in ensuring the sustainability of the Corporation for years to come
- Guide and support the development of the board, increasing community capacity and capability,
- Provide an independent voice at the board table. The role of the Independent Director is a key component of the composition of the board, ensuring the appropriate mix of expertise, experience and community connection, is maintained and also, provide guidance input in areas of expertise.
The Independent Director cannot be a member of the Wajarri Yamaji community as per the constitution.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Previous Native Title experience and negotiation is advantageous
- Experience working with Indigenous Communities and understand the decision-making process
- Understand the complexities facing PBC’s in member organisations.
- Demonstrated success in building capacity and major business development projects is ideal.
- The successful candidate/s will assist the Board transition the Organisation to the new structure and Rulebook.
- Provide guidance at the finalisation of key Native Title negotiations
- Minimum of 3 years of recent board experience as a Director of an Australian Company governed by the Corporations Act
- Extensive financial or business management experience with a finance or business qualification
- Completed or prepared to complete the AICD Company Directors course or similar
- Leadership and influencing experience with a collaborative style of engagement.
- High reputation and integrity.
- Prepared to commit to attending all board related meetings.
- Provide an adequate level of engagement between meetings as required
Board meetings are conducted alternatively between Perth and Geraldton and held bi-monthly. Additional meetings on an as needs basis. Sitting fee and reimbursement of travel, accommodation and meals.
Expressions of interest are invited now. Condition and term of appointment including remuneration will be discussed in detail with the appropriate candidates as well as the selection and endorsement process by the community.
Closing date for applications is COB 26 October 2021.
Please email your résumé and cover letter outlining your specific qualifications, relevant experience and why you believe you are ideally suited to this opportunity to email@example.com. For a confidential discussion and suitability for this role please email this same address with your reply phone number and we will be in touch.